It’s no secret that Marvel’s Netflix series’ have been an extremely anticipated event ever since the debut of Marvel’s Daredevil in April of 2015. Some speed bumps have been hit along the way with the shows (as well as the movies) but the last 2 attempts have fallen a little short according to critics.
Aside from Daredevil, my most anticipated release was definitely the debut of Danny Rand/Iron Fist. Now, I’ll be the first to admit the show fell a little short but the more and more reviews I see, the more and more hate I see the show getting.
Here are a few things I think they nailed on the show:
1. I thought all the casting was great, I think that Finn Jones is a very young new talent without a ton of experience so you have to give him a break on that. He still needs to find his footing playing the character and as the show progressed I felt like it showed that as his acting skills throughout the show improved.
2. They(the Netflix shows) aren’t as high budget as the films so the special effects aren’t as great as they would be if they were on the big screen but I felt like they did the best with their means and made it more contemporary.
3. Connecting the Hand to Danny and ultimately leading into our original prediction of the Hand being the main focus of The Defenders series that will be coming out this summer. Showing a different perspective of the Hand organization from another heroes perspective instead of just what Daredevil sees(or lack there of) of them.
4. Supporting roles in the show were also cast well too. I really liked Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing. She played the character extremely well and seemed to flow really well on screen.
Now, here are some of the areas where I think it fell short:
1. The overall fight scenes weren’t as great as they could’ve been. The best action sequence during the whole show was episode 6 which was directed by RZA who obviously has a love and knowledge of martial arts films.
2. The pace wasn’t quite right. The episodes would start to build a little momentum and would almost immediately lose it and the show would slow back down.
3. Danny needed to use the Iron Fist more and more fluently – but also keep in mind this was an origin story and he wasn’t all the way there just yet. Just as Daredevil waited the entire season to show the costume, and just as most of the origin stories are in the MCU. Gotta have patience when it comes to this sometimes.
To me, it wasn’t the worst of the Marvel shows. The one that fell short the most (in my eyes) – was definitely Luke Cage. Not to say that it was awful or anything, but the best part of the show was Cottonmouth and we all know he didn’t last very long in the series.
With that being said, I’m very much looking forward to seeing what they are going to do with The Defenders and how they are going to tie the characters together and develop them even further.
The Defenders debuts this summer on Netflix.
What do you think of Iron Fist? Did you like or dislike the Netflix show? Be sure to tell us your thoughts in the comment section below!