Castle Rock was something of a hit with Stephen King fans. While the overall storyline for the first season might’ve left much more to be desired, it still did a fantastic job of tying together Stephen King’s multitude of stories and making them feel like an actual on-screen universe. Because of this, fans have been curious just how Season 2 would continue and expand upon this concept. Now we know how – and it includes iconic villain Annie Wilkes from Stephen King’s Misery.
It seems the disturbed nurse-turned-kidnapper once played by Kathy Bates will now be portrayed by actress Lizzy Caplan. The idea is to show her as a “budding psychopath” which could make room for endless disturbing shenanigans considering Annie’s prior backstory in the original Misery novel.
— Eklecty-City – Pop Culture (@EklectyCity) March 20, 2019
According to THR, the series will also include a variety of other characters you may recognize from Stephen King’s various stories.
- Elsie Fisher will play Joy, Annie Wilke’s daughter who begins to suspect her mother’s insanity.
- Tim Robbins will play Reginald “Pop” Merrill, head of the Merrill crime family.
- Garrett Hedlund will play John “Ace” Merrill, who you may recognize as Kiefer Sutherland’s character in Stand by Me. He’ll be taking over the businesses for his uncle Pop’s crime syndicate.
- Matthew Alan will play Chris Merrill, Ace’s brother.
- Yusra Warsama will play Dr. Nadia Omar, the medical director in a rural hospital located in Jerusalem’s Lot.
- Barkhad Abdi will play Nadia’s older brother.
The cast really says a lot for how much the show intends to expand the world of Stephen King’s characters. I’m especially excited to see Jerusalem’s Lot receive more screen time, with fingers crossed for a vampire or two to appear. Let’s hope Kurt Barlow is just around the corner…
In the second season…
In Castle Rock Season 2, a feud between warring clans comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes gets waylaid in Castle Rock.
The new season of Castle Rock doesn’t have a set release date yet, but stay tuned as the info comes!