James Wan helped create the Conjuring cinematic universe when he directed the 2013 film The Conjuring and its 2016 sequel. Now, however, Blumhouse’s Jason Blum delivered some disappointing news for fans of The Conjuring and James Wan.
Both Jason Blum and James Wan were involved with a press tour for M3GAN when they spoke with CinePOP. James Wan was asked whether or not he’d return to direct another installment in the Conjuring franchise.
At this point, he had the following to say:
“I don’t know, let me ask Jason,” Wan joked.
With that said, the answer from Jason Blum might not be as humorous for those anxious to see Wan back for another Conjuring sequel:
“No, he’s not doing that right away or anytime soon,” Blum said. “No, no, no, no, no. In about 20 or 30 years he’ll be back.”
It’s definitely a disappointing answer. Of course, given his reluctance to come back thus far, it might not be surprising.
He previously handed the reigns of the main storyline over to director Michael Chaves for The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It. Similarly, the various Conjuring film spin-offs all have different directors as well. It’s safe to say that James Wan has chosen to mostly move his attention to other projects.
And, with that in mind, fans should be even more excited for his partnership with Jason Blum. Both Wan’s Atomic Monster and Blum’s Blumhouse have joined forces. The two are expected to create an all-new batch of horror projects that would have otherwise never been made. So, while we may not have Wan back for any other Conjuring films, he’s certainly going to stay in the horror genre for quite some time to come.
Stay tuned to ScreenGeek for additional updates as we have them. As for M3GAN, fans will be able to see that film in theaters on January 6, 2023.